Thursday, June 25, 2009

Water Your Flowers

"I spread out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land."
Psalm 143:6 (NIV)

I started out to the gazebo for some quiet time with God when I found them…dead. I’d finally done it. The New Guinea Impatiens that my husband specifically asked to be planted in the hanging baskets were scorched and wilted worse than ever. I quickly grabbed the watering can and soaked them, hoping for a miraculous recovery.

My first point of defense here is that I simply do not have a green thumb. I don’t even have a green pinky toe. (Thank goodness! That would be kind of gross.) Truly, any flower or plant that survives around here is a credit to my husband’s tender care. If he doesn’t water them himself, he reminds me to do it. This puts a lot of pressure on me when he’s out of town, especially in the middle of summer.

I have good intentions when I initially plant, but a week or two later I find myself wandering outside to find half dead plants crying faintly, “Help! Water! A little drink please!” Why do I struggle with this so much? I think about watering them daily, but something always distracts me and before I know it, tomorrow has come and the plants are parched and wilting.

After I watered the flowers, I went on with my devotion time. It was rich and refreshing; a wonderful relief from the weight of life that I’ve been carrying lately. Weight that has sapped the life out of me as the sun’s heat sapped the life out of my flowers. Circumstances and a busy schedule have kept me from the most important part of my day…time with God. As I sat quietly, listening for God, I simply heard, “Water your flowers.” What? “Water your flowers.” I looked up to see them, still wilted, but slightly perkier than 30 minutes before, and realized that I too have been parched. People around me have noticed, asking, “Are you alright? You seem a little…tired.” I have been. I’ve described myself lately as dry, heavy, and almost dead. I can’t seem to write. (Have you noticed?) Have you ever been there? Sunday worship brings refreshing, but by the middle of the week, you’re wilted and needing more. I think daily about spending time in the Word and prayer, but something always distracts me and before I know it, tomorrow has come and my soul is parched and wilting. Just as a weekly watering won’t sustain my flowers, neither will a weekly encounter with God sustain my life. I need to spend time with my Father, my Source, my Spring of Living Water DAILY.

Yes Father, I’ll water my flowers, and my soul. What a difference it makes.

You know, I went out a few hours later to find my flowers amazingly bright and refreshed, and so was I.

4 comments:

~Trina~ said...

Wow! That really speaks to me. I've often thought of how I am all excited to plant all the pretty flowers and love the yard to look colorful and refreshing, but I don't particularly enjoy the work that goes into it. I have also realized that this is a picture of my life. I am a great planner and love the excitement of getting started, but don't have nearly enough "follow-through". Too often, I want the result without all the effort.

I love you analogies to your spiritual life and faithful watering. Great post, Heather!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! There are so many great analogies in the garden.... I think we feel closer to God in the garden. (well, at least when it's watered!)
~ Keep writing! Linda

Little Bug said...

I am always amazed at how the Lord knows us so intimately and He knows exactly what to use to get our attention. Heather, I have no doubt in my mind that God loves you so much that He needed you to "see" the effects of untended soil. Not only did you see the lifeless nature of your flowers, but you had compassion on them and you did what was needed to bring them back to life. I guess we all need to be reminded that that is exactly what God does with us. When He sees our lifeless heart or our weakend spirit, He has compassion on us and invites us back with gentle waterings, gentle urgings to bloom within His presence. We must never forget that taking the action of compassion is necessary to finding the beauty within and to finding the pricessles, and sometimes hidden treasure that lies within our gardens...our hearts that is! The Lord chose a hanging basket in your gazebo to mirror His love for you and His compassion for you...As you are learning this valuable lesson of tending to your heart in the presence of God, we are all blessed by your journey and we may be either traveling our own journey, or starting out to the pathway of peace just like you. Thank you, once again, for being a willing vessel that God is using in the lives of others. You shine brighter each day my friend...and I see it!!!
Love you sister!!
Lori

~Trina~ said...

How did your message about God's BIG dreams go at church?