Thursday, May 14, 2009

Seeds Sown Generously

“Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.”
2 Cor. 9:6 (NIV)

A single mother gathered the change from her purse, approximately eighty cents, and gave it to her nine year old son. When she tried to help him calculate the proper amount to give as tithe, he said to her, “No. It’s ALL for God.” and proceeded to put all of the change in the offering bucket at church that week.

The next week the boy was able to do some extra chores and earned a little over a dollar. Once again, when the offering bucket was passed at church, he gave all of the money.

After church on Easter Sunday, a woman came to the boy’s mother and said the Lord had told her she needed to give the boy some money. His mother, thinking it would be a couple of dollars, was surprised when the woman gave the little boy two five dollar bills. Once again, all of it was placed in the offering.

When the mother asked why he was giving all of his money in the offering, he responded, “Mom, I’m planting seeds.”

Later that day, the boy and his mother were working in their garden. When it came time to plant their seeds, the boy began reading the seed packets carefully. “Mom, did you know that the package tells you which seed you’re planting so you know what will grow after you plant it?” He then told her, “I haven’t been naming my seed! My seed at church in the offering... I haven’t been naming my seed!” His mother asked, “What do you want to name your seed?” He answered, “My seeds are named, A House, A Dad, A Dog!”

This is not a fictional parable. My sister considers it a privilege to know this young man of God, whom she says reminds her much of David, a man after God’s own heart. He reminds me of the woman who gave her only two mites, all that she had to live on, and the boy who gave his five loaves and two fish for the work of the Kingdom. This young man prays specifically and in faith, giving all that he has to the only true God who hears and answers. For quite some time he has been praying for these three things: a house, a dad and a dog. He desires the stability and security of living in a home of his own. He asks not simply for a Dad, but a “very Godly Dad”. And finally he prays for what he calls his “God dog.” Not the dog he chooses for himself, but the dog which God chooses for Him. Is it any wonder Christ said “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.”? (Matt. 19:14)

I leave you with one question and one request.

The Question: Have you named your seed? When you give to God, whatever the means, do you look ahead in faith to the harvest God will bring? Looking forward to the harvest compells generous giving.

The Request: Please join me in lifting up this young man of faith in our prayers, belieiving God to bring about an abundant harvest from the seeds a boy sows.

2 comments:

Candy Bennett said...

Thank you Heather for sharing his story! It is so beautiful to get a glimpse of the things of God through the eyes of children. They have a way of brushing past all the "stuff" of this world and seeing things in God as they truly are! Oh Lord, give me the eyes of a child to see my heavenly Father with!

Little Bug said...

What precious prayers from a pure heart. I love this story Heather! I wish I knew him. I believe he would strengthen my faith to pray for both the little things and the big. To name my seed and to have faith that it would grow. What a precious little soul. I don't know if it's Heidi or Candy who knows this little hero of faith, but would you please tell them to give this little boy a squeeze for me...from a mom who needed to be reminded that God hears our every prayer, our every request and he listens with his heart of love for me, not just his ears. I am blessed this evening by a little boy with BIG faith!!
Lori