Thursday, January 8, 2009

Welcome 2009! (a little late)

I can't believe we are already 8 days into 2009! I had expected to add a new post by New Years Eve or New Years day. But as you may know, I'm often a little behind my desired schedule. At least I know there is a reason. We spent 12 wonderful days in California with our family for Christmas and New Years Day. We truly dedicated that time to family and so enjoyed it. Then back home to Virginia on Jan. 2nd. You know what that means...unpacking, laundry, housekeeping and trying to get over jet lag! UGH! So here I am, on January 8, finally writing again.

I've been thinking a lot about what I would write as I face a new year, and honestly I'm stumped. No special "New Years" theme has jumped out at me. I'm not one much for making New Years resolutions. I don't usually keep them. I do however have several goals I am committing to complete this year. One of which is posting to this blog at least once a week. :) Most people I know don't actually make New Years resolutions for the same reason I don't. I do, however, think most people at least consider the year ahead. What will it be like? What will happen? Will it be good? Will it be bad? What do you ask yourself? What do you think about on the first day of a brand new year?

My dear friend and fellow blogger, Christy Butcher, encouraged me, (through her blog) with her decision to find a "Word of the Year". Each year she decides on a new word to focus on for that year. I began to think, what word would I choose? Hmmmm..... The problem is, my indecisive personality has not made it possible to choose just one. I have a list! But if I had to choose one to put at the top of my list this year, it would be JOY! I would love for this to be a year of joy! I want to face every day with an attitude of joy. Nehemiah 8:10 says "...the joy of the Lord is your strength." I'm sure I'm going to need a little strength along the way as well. Maybe I should add "strength" to my list.

The fact is, this new year is a year of unknown for every one of us. It may hold prosperity, insecurity, health or sickness. We may encounter new experiences and new friends. We may reconnect with old friends and deepen relationships. Whatever this new year holds, whether good or bad, I pray that we face it each day with the Joy of the Lord!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case anyone ever wonders… does Heather’s husband ever read her blog? Well, the answer to that question is, I check it every chance I get. I am always amazed at how this little lady can stop me in my tracks, make me think, ponder spiritual things, and help me draw closer to my God. Yes! I read her blog and something stirs inside me when I do. In fact, I get excited every time she runs out of the office with another morsel of wisdom gleamed from scripture. If you could only see her face…

If you haven’t noticed, I am really proud of Heather. I thank God daily for the rich, rich blessing he has placed in my life by this wonderful lady, my soul mate.

Kathy said...

How about this one: "Splendor and majesty are before Him; strength and JOY in His dwelling place." 1 Chron. 16:27
Love & prayers, Kathy

Anonymous said...

I love my HB! :0) Christy B.

Little Bug said...

Amen Sister!!!!!!!!
With JOY in my heart,
Lori

Jenna said...

funny, I was thinking of the word Joy too this year! In quite a different way, I've been thinking of how my life might be different if I truly allow myself to be joyful over the life God has given me. At times (most of the time) I consider all the "what ifs" and allowing those thoughts instead of the joy to consume my heart and mind.
thank you for encouraging me to be joyful.

Anonymous said...

The verse that I write in my books is I Thes. 5:16. "Be joyful always." I love your blog, Heather. Keep this up and you'll have your book written in no time. These type of "every day" stories that bring God into our lives is what the publishers are always looking for. You are very gifted in this area. Rock on, sistah!