Monday, February 2, 2009

Mama Bee's Buzz



“Her children arise and call her blessed…”
“…a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”
Prov. 31:28 & 30 (NIV)

This last week my mom celebrated her birthday. Being on opposite sides of the country, I couldn’t spend the day with her, so I’ve been thinking about her and the many things I’ve learned from her over my 38 years. Now, we all learn something from our mothers, whether great or small, good or bad. But my sisters and I have been blessed to have gleaned many grand and insightful treasures of truth from our mom. Treasures that I think everyone should have the opportunity to learn. So here they are…

MAMA BEE’S BUZZ
The many things my sisters and I have learned form our Mom.
• Every pot has a lid. (no matter how funny the shape)
• You really should go to bed early because morning comes so fast. (I could never figure out how those hours somehow ticked away faster than any others.)
• When you’re thirsty, your mouth is “dry…(lick lips)…like cotton”.
• If you’re REALLY thirsty, you can “smell a coke”.
• No matter how warm you are, you always need another blanket put on you.
• You can never have enough tables (especially when you find a good yard sale).
• Everything you ever needed to know you can learn from a magazine article. (My mom reads more magazines than anyone I know. She’s really smart.)
• No matter how humble the meal, a beautiful table setting makes it a King’s feast.
• Use the good china.
• Grandchildren get special privileges that your own children never did.
• Grandma’s can make it to a hospital faster than a mom can.
• Everyone needs to know how to type. (You never know when it will get you a job.)
• Hurtful words should be taken with a grain of salt.
• Work hard. Give your employer your best.
• Mom can take care of you like no one else can.
• Get a pedicure! You deserve it.
• Regardless of your past, you can always make good choices.
• Give…Give…Give!
• Find a church you can call home and be faithful to it. You simply don’t skip a service.
• Love the unlovely.
• God is the greatest counselor you can ever have.
• Sometimes you need to close your bedroom door to weep before the Lord. (Sorry, Mom. I peeked. The best lesson I ever learned.)

I’m not limiting the things we’ve learned to this very finite list, but I can’t go on forever. The fact is, my Mom loves the Lord with all of her heart and is devoted to serving Him. I am so honored to have gleaned that “treasure” and hope I pass the same on to my own children.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Heather, I share with you the blessing of your mom's wisdom. She's mentored me for about 35 years now, and I've learned so much about being a Christian woman from her.
Love & prayers, Kathy

Anonymous said...

What an awesome mom you have! What a blessing from God!
~ Linda

Christi Samuelson said...

I am now hoping to glean from her what I can, even though as a little kid I was able to glean numerous things, such as how giving she was and her sincere concern about about others hurts. (even though back then-I didnt realize i was in a hurting situation)! I love your mom, she played momma to me too sometimes!!