Thursday, April 23, 2009

He Sees You!



“From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth—he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.” Psalm 33:13-15
“But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,” Psalm 33:18

The beautiful little boy in the above picture is Connor Robertson. Connor is three years old, has down syndrome and is an absolute, living miracle. You can read more about his miracle life at his blog, www.mamaslittlebug.blogspot.com. I have the privilege of being “Auntie Heather” to Connor and his siblings, 2 year old Mackenzie & 7 month old Alex. We like to say that even though I am not “auntie” by blood, I am “auntie” by love.

Because they live in Washington state and I live near Washington DC we don’t get to see each other…..ever. SO, when I found myself with the joy of spending a weekend in the Seattle area with college girlfriends (A completely different post is coming on that soon.), I arranged my travel schedule to spend a day with Connor and his family. What a blessing it was!!!

Connor’s mommy, Lori, and I have one of those rare, click as soon as you meet each other, sisters in Christ, heart strings tied together forever kind of relationships. I can tell you that she is truly one of the most amazing women of God I know. A day in the Robertson home will prove the God given strength, patience and love she possesses and expresses to her family. My one day in their life was a joy. Lori’s day after day can be “trenches” living. Any parent can imagine that. But imagine adding to it the care for a precious little boy who’s down syndrome and accompanying medical needs have slowed development so much that it is almost impossible to see whether he understands the love and effort you are pouring into his little life. He can’t say “I love you” or run to her and wrap his arms around her neck in excitement. There are times when his mommy feels unseen and heart-broken. Not long after she had shared this with me, she left the room for a few minutes. As I sat on the floor, playing with Connor and his sister, I noticed his eyes focus on the doorway every minute or so. I realized he was waiting for mommy to come through that door. Later, when she again had to leave the room, he became very agitated, calming only when she returned. His source of love and security is his mommy. She had never seen that and never would have known had I not been there to see it and tell her. When I did, the expression on her face was worth more than gold. It was almost as though Connor was saying, “I love you” with his own little voice. His actions showed that he does receive her love and a sense of security from her.

Even greater than Connor “seeing” his mommy, is that Christ sees and receives every bit of love and care she gives each and every day. Even if Connor never expresses, “Thank you!” or “I love you!” Christ does.

Have you ever been in the midst of “trenches” living? Have you ever felt that you pour out yourself, maybe even for the Lord, and nobody sees? You question if harvest will ever come from your sowing. Does anybody care? Maybe you’ve even questioned if God cares. Let me assure you, He does! Every bit of love you pour out, every tear you cry, and every drop of sweat you shed in His work is seen. And should you never see the harvest or reward in this life, you will when you see Him.

HE SEES YOU!
HE LOVES YOU!
HE IS YOUR REWARD!

3 comments:

Little Bug said...

As always my heart skips a beat when I consider the depth of His love for me. Heather, you have reminded me how great, how deep and how wide is the love of God for ME!!!! Through my precious son I have seen the world through different eyes, I have heard the hurting through different ears, I have felt pain and suffering with a different heart and I have touched others with different hands. Thank the Lord for His "special gift" to me wrapped up in the most exquisite package resembling the face of my son. He sure does know what I need...better than I do!!! Our visit still lingers on my heart and our time together will not be forgotten dear friend. I look forward, with anticipation, to our next sojourn of the heart. You continue to amaze me with insight and depth dear one. I am challenged, I am changed and I am overjoyed by you!!! Thank you for being a vessel that God has used in my life this day.
I love you.
Lori and the Munchkins....Connor, Kenzie and Alex all say Hello!!!

Kathy said...

Without going into details, let me just say that reading your blog this morning was such an encouragement to me. Thanks for sharing.
-kathy

Candy Bennett said...

Ok, I'm at work and in tears. What a preccious gift His love is to us - enduring, ever, constant, MIRACULOUS!!! He knows! I needed to hear that.
Candy