Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I Want To Hold His Hand

“If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.” Luke 9:26 (NIV)

This morning, as I walked my 7 year old son to the bus stop, I found myself wishing the walk could be a little longer. I know the day will come when he won’t want to be seen holding his mom’s hand and giving her a kiss goodbye. But for now, he wouldn’t have it any other way, and neither would I. It’s not that he hasn’t thought it to be a bit embarrassing. In fact, the first day of the school year, when I kissed him before he boarded the bus, he embarrassedly whispered, “MOM!” and looked around. I quickly apologized, recognizing his need for independence. I watched as he considered the situation in his young mind and signaled me down toward him. I leaned down, expecting a whisper in my ear. Much to my surprise, I received a kiss on my cheek and a warm hug. WOW! His love for me outweighed his pride. He’ll never know how much that meant to me or that that moment will stay with me for the rest of my life.

I imagine that God felt the same way this morning. Brennan and I had rushed out the door at the last minute and hadn’t said our usual morning prayer together. So as we crossed the street, Brennan led out loud and unashamedly. I found myself noticing the neighbor in his driveway and wondered if he could hear. What a brave boy! He didn’t seem to care who heard him. The fact is that Brennan’s love for God outweighed his pride. I’m sure God was beaming with love at that moment.

It’s amazing how a simple walk to the bus stop with a 7 year old child can challenge my faith so much. In fact, this morning’s walk left me strongly convicted. How often does my love for God outweigh my pride? The answer, sadly, is not often enough. Too often, I keep my mouth shut when given the opportunity to speak up for Christ, simply because I don’t want others to think I’m a fanatic or “religious”. Too often, I miss an opportunity to share His love through a kind act or prayer because I’m too caught up in myself. Oh how I pray that my love for God will always outweigh my own pride. May I never be ashamed to hold Christ’s hand as I walk through life with Him.

2 comments:

Candy Bennett said...

Exceptional Heather! I loved this.

Kathy said...

Made me think of the Blackabee study we did years ago where I learned that God is always working all around me, just waiting for me to join Him in His work.

How many times have I been too busy to notice? How many times have I noticed, but not joined in?

I'm praying that during this time before Easter, that I can focus on all He did for me. He is truly awesome. I'm also going to pray that I have the courage of a 7-year old boy, bravely serving Christ no matter who sees or hears.

Love & prayers, Kathy