Thursday, April 30, 2009

No Makeup Required


“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” Prov. 17:17 (NIV)

Two weeks ago I had the joy of spending a “girls’ weekend” with 4 of my dearest friends from college. I’m taking a huge risk here posting the above picture. I figured if the title was “NO MAKEUP REQUIRED” the picture should match. Lucky for my girlfriends, they are beautiful inside and out, even without makeup.  Who knew when we all met in welcoming “life groups”, and dormitory hallways that 20 years and 17 children later we would be spending a blessed weekend together.

What a weekend it was! It included all of the essentials of a relaxing weekend with girlfriends: food, jammies, manicures, magazines, laughter and tears (just a few). We discussed children, marriage and ministry. I believe it was our first evening together when one word was spoken that struck deep into my heart and changed the weekend for me. “Authentic!” The next morning as I was spending time with the Lord, He spoke that same word again to me. “Heather, Be authentic!” I think most of us face this challenge of authenticity at some point in our lives. We’re often intimidated and insecure, feeling we have to be someone other than who we truly are or others may not love us. I realized I had stepped into my girls’ weekend just that way. I hadn’t seen them all in 5 years. I’d better look right, sound right, and act right. Luckily, the weekend had just begun and my attitude quickly changed. I decided to just be myself. After all, these women have known me for 20 years. Twenty years of bad hair days and fashion mistakes (what’s up with the floral overalls???) and they still love me. After a weekend of looking through old photo albums, living without makeup and heart to heart conversations, I am convinced more than ever that these girls are true friends. They love me for who I am. They love me at all times….even without makeup.

What a blessing to know that their love is a reflection of Christ in them. Christ, the one friend, greater than any other, who loves me even at my absolute worst. With others, I can put on makeup and a smile and appear to be lovable. I can hide the fear, pain, insecurity and even sin. But He sees beyond the surface, past my smile to my heart. He knows me to the core of my being and loves me deeper still. In fact, He’d rather me drop the makeup at the door and come to Him as I am, imperfections and all. For it’s when the makeup is removed that He is finally able to reflect His own beauty through me. What a relief! With Him, I can be myself… No Makeup Required!

P.S.
Thanks friends for a weekend of refreshing encouragement. I believe it was a time truly appointed by God. I love you all dearly!

4 comments:

Little Bug said...

WOW!!! 5 non-makeup clad women is the most beautiful concept ever!!! Truth, joy, integrity, authenticity, contentment, and peace all at it's finest. It is when we are laid out bare, uncovered before our Lord that He can cover us with His love, His acceptance and His heart. He loves it when we are at our most vulnerable. And for you to have had the opportunity to do that in unison with some of your closets girlfriends is such a blessing. I am sure that you each had lessons to learn, a message to receive and joy to uncover from your time together. I do not doubt that the Lord used this metaphor profoundly in each of your lives in different ways. That's how unique, and how specialized our God is in the way He loves us. He takes us and meets us at our point of need and then uses it to bless others. How good is God? Well, you know the answer to that question....Extraordinarily Good....Extraordinarily Great!! Always blessed by your insight and the lessons you are learning my friend.
I love ya,
Lori

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to go. What a fantastic time for all of you. And yes, authentic is where it's truly at.

Blessings, Linda (sister to one of the makeup-less women.)

Kim Cottriel said...

I loved this! Thanks for being such a great "sounding board" and such an encouraging friend. What a weekend that was, truly special! Love ya, Kim

Little Bug said...

Happy Mother's Day Heather!!! You continue to inspire me with your friendship. You are loved!!!
Lori